Do you want to clean up your complexion? Are you desperate for healthy, glowing skin? Me too, which is why I was stalking Pinterest for beauty and skincare tips the other night! I must admit that these tips are not original ideas of my own. I found these skincare tips on Pinterest via this infograph, but I’ve added my own commentary and ideas along the way.
So without further ado, here are 12 fabulous DYI skipcare tips that every woman needs to know for healthy skin.
1. Squeeze on fresh lemon juice. Did you know you can lighten and brighten your skin by dabbing freshly squeezed lemon juice or organic grass-fed yogurt to your face and neck? Leave the juice or yogurt on your face for at least 10 minutes and watch the magic happen. This is a MUST better idea than applying lemon juice to hair.
2. Listen to your doctor and drink lots of water. By drinking at least 2 liters (1/2 gallon for us visual people) of water per day, you can help prevent (or even eliminate) blackheads and dry skin. You will have a more “dewy look.” If you’re anything like me, I didn’t know what a “dewy look” meant, so I went to Google. Basically, you will have a brighter glow to your skin!
3. Filter your shower and sink water. Now that I have you drinking enough water, it’s important to filter your shower and sink water. Filtering the water helps dump out chlorine and other chemicals that get absorbed into your skin and hair. As a result, you should have healthier hair and softer skin! Even better? Using filtered water could help if you have allergies or asthma.
4. Start and end your day with a lotion mask. Just like your body, your face needs to stay hydrated! For a more beautiful and glowing complexion, apply a moisturizing lotion mask in the morning (pre-makeup) and evening.
5. Apply tea tree oil to make pimples disappear. If you have a big event, hot date, job interview, or any other important life moment AND your skin is acting up, purchase some tea tree oil to heal pimples quickly. Use a cotton swab and apply the oil directly onto the pimple every few hours. You can also use Vitamin B oil on the spot at night (one hour before bedtime).
6. Pour yourself a glass of champagne and then give yourself a facial. Okay, not a full-blown facial. But you can dip a cotton ball into champagne and dab it into your skin to yourself a glow, shrink pores, give your skin an antioxidant burst, and even out your skin tone!
7. Pour some sugar on YOU (in the name of love). Okay, now that I have that song stuck in my head...It's important to inform you that Using a sugar scrub can help prevent pimples and keep your skin smooth with the glycolic acid. Mix in organic sugar cane with your face or body wash in the palm of your hand and apply the rub to your face and body. You will look, feel, and smell magical!
If you're in the mood to test a new face scrub, here is a recipe for a DIY papaya face scrub! You'll love it!
8. Apply olive oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil to your cheekbones and brow bones. For a quick glow, add one of these oils (which you probably have hiding in your kitchen) in areas where you could normally apply a high lighter or shimmer cream.
9. Get your beauty rest by sleeping on silk pillows. Did you know silk pillowcases can help prevent hair damage and prevent skin breakouts? Beyond comfort and feeling like a princess, you have another reason to invest in silk pillowcases!
10. Add Vitamin C supplements to your diet. You can prevent early aging and help your body produce collagen by taking a quality Vitamin C supplement.
11. Load up on salads and other leafy greens. Eating just one cup of leafy green vegetables each day can help keep your skin clear and prevent under-eye circles. For better digestion, have your vegetables steamed, juiced, or blended. And for an added bonus, you will have more natural energy to take of these other DYI skincare tips!
12. Stay away from candy bars, cookies, brownies, and every other delicious (diet-killing) treat. While using sugar externally is great for your skin (see above sugar scrub tip), consuming too much sugar has been linked to causing breakouts. Try using raw honey, stevia, or xylitol instead of sugar.
You can also add these seven superfoods for perfect skin to your diet!
Feeling overwhelmed with tips and inspiration? Pick out your top 3-5 tips and test those out first.