If you’re sporting a pixie cut, don’t make the mistake of thinking that you don’t have a number of creative styling options. Sure, you can’t wear a ponytail or bun, but there’s still plenty of room for versatility. Thanks to Joico’s team of stylists, we’re giving you the inside scoop on two ways to shake things up with a short haircut.
1. The tousled pixie
Maggie Gyllenhaal’s tousled style is perfect for those who like a little play on texture with their pixie. This star worthy take on the pixie cut is soft and positively brimming with charm.
Celeb stylist Matthew Monzon, who’s responsible for the Gyllenhaal’s ‘do, shares the deets on waving a little Joico magic to get the look:
- First apply Joico Power Whip Whipped Foam to damp hair. Monzon used the whipped foam to bring out the natural texture and wave pattern in Gyllenhaal’s hair.
- Next, with a diffuser attached to a hair dryer, start applying heat to dry hair. When hair is about 80% dry, twist random sections of hair while directing the diffuser on strands to get them completely dry. The goal is to get a random look, so don’t twist too perfectly.
- Once hair is dry, let cool and finish with Joico Texture Boost Dry Spray Wax. The spray wax adds separation and texture while leaving hair effortlessly soft and touchable.
2. The feminine crop
Is there anyone who doesn’t think about chopping their locks once they get a glance at Charlize Theron’s cropped cut? It’s super short, but still very feminine... and did we mention breathtaking? According to Joico stylist Damien Carney, the key to this winning coif is soft, well tailored edges and a strong hair color.
For this coveted style, simply follow this easy how-to:
- Air dry hair or rough dry with a blow dryer and your hands. Next, work Joico Texture Boost Dry Wax in strands to create separation and texture.
- Finish by smoothing the back and sides, then flip fringe upward and backward.
- Bonus tip: Stylist Damien advises that when it comes to short hair, less is more with product. It keeps strands from looking greasy from product buildup.
Whether you’ve already joined the pixie mania that’s sweeping Hollywood or if you’re still just thinking about it, you now have 2 super chic cropped looks to add to your repertoire (or wish list).