Dying to rock a glamorous Hollywood-inspired look, but don't know where to start? Fashion superstar Whitney Port and Joico International Creative Director Damien Carney have got you covered! In their latest Drab to Fab web series, they're sharing a few easy tricks of the trade to amplify your Hollywood glam look.
First, let's think about wardrobe. For a true Hollywood-inspired look, focus your style on distinguished but simple. Try an asymmetrical or peplum top in a solid color (when in doubt, go for black). Play with materials, too - faux leather, suede or lace will make your top extra interesting.
On bottom, wear an opposing shape. For example, pair a peplum top with a form-fitting skirt or skinny jean to make your waistline pop and give you a long and lean appearance.
For true Hollywood glam, choose a style that you're comfortable in - as well as one that makes you feel sexy. If you're a jeans and tee shirt kind of gal, throw on some heels and rock it. As long as you have the confidence to go with it, your outfit will work whether fancy or more casual.
Since you're going simple with clothing, punch up your look with fun jewelry. Try some chunky costume drop earrings in emerald or sapphire. Add an oversized cocktail ring to give your look some oomph.
The Hollywood glam look is all about playing up your assets. Keep your face looking natural with a light coverage foundation and/or powder. Keep your eye shade neutral, but pump up your eyes with a thick liner (you could even try a cat eye shape). Finish with a bright red or coral lip.
Now onto the most important part of your look: your hair. Nothing says true Hollywood glam more than a polished 'do, so really concentrate your efforts here.
Soft side-swept waves are a must for your Hollywood glam look. Pull your hair to one side will let you show off your earrings, while giving you the appearance of a long and lean neck. Opt for a slight side part as well to help give your hair some volume on top.
To get this look, a large-barrel curling iron is key. Instead of the traditional curl, you'll be adding curves to your hair to give it a movable shape.
1. Start with the hair nearest your face. Position the iron near the roots of a thick strand, then run the strand through the iron in an up and then out motion to add volume to your roots.
2. Gently work the rest of the hair through the iron, softly rolling it to give slight curls or curves to the ends.
3. Continue in this motion until you've worked through all of your hair, choosing thick pieces to work with at a time. Don't try for tight curls; instead, just focus on giving your roots volume and the ends nice waves. Curling thicker strands of hair at a time will help you create the look faster as well as give you more of the loose shape you desire.
4. Once curled, gently finger-comb your curls, pulling your hair over to one side.
5. Hold your waves in place with Joico Power Spray, a firm hold, fast-drying finishing spray that will keep up with your style all day without giving you an overworked or crunchy feeling.
6. Next, work a small amount of Joico Protect & Shine Serum through your waves, which will give you red carpet shine without looking oily or greasy.
7. Finally, lightly coat your 'do with Joico Humidity Blocker, a finishing spray that creates an invisible barrier around your hair to lock out humidity, eliminate frizz and keep your style in place for up to 72 hours.
A Hollywood glam look is easier than you think! Overall, remember to go for simple but chic, focusing on long and lean lines with pops of color and polished, high-shine hair.