Be honest. Sometimes it is near impossible to nod in agreement when Drake says: "chillen with no makeup, on that's when you the prettiest." Probably because, as a majority, women feel most attractive when they are all dolled up. Don't believe me? A study conducted in 2004 (surveyed over 10 countries), that is still being used as a relevant, valid source today in the makeup industry, found that 68% of women use makeup to feel better about themselves. Even Katy Perry (guys KATY freakin' PERRY) said the following in an interview with Seventeen magazine, “I don’t really feel pretty ever. Without makeup, I feel ugly.”
Still not convinced we are makeup addicts? InStyle reported that during the average woman's lifetime, she will spend $15,000 on makeup. That's the price of a car...or 15 laptops.
While there definitely are women out there, somewhere, that feel their best without makeup on - I can tell you I am not one of them. Still, I don't know about you, but some mornings I just don't feel like playing artist and painting my face. So, what can we do to stop the 7 day makeup week? Is it possible to feel our best without a full face of makeup?
Makeup artists & skin enthusiasts say yes. Here are some of their top tips to make your face look and feel its best without foundation, bronzer, highlighter, concealer, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, blush and a finishing powder.
1. Sunscreen - Now, please do not take your bottle of sunscreen for the beach and stick it on your face. Instead, use a facial sunscreen (try Clinique Sun Broad Spectrum SPF 50 Sunscreen Face Cream). It will leave your skin soft, smooth and with a healthy glow.
2. Tinted Moisturizer - The great thing about tinted moisturizer's is that you don't have to match them to your skin in the same way you would a foundation. Generally, they are sheer and will naturally match to your skin tone while adding a gorgeous glow to your skin. Not to mention, most have a sunscreen (don't buy it if it doesn't) to protect skin when you are walking around bare-faced.
3. Just Blush - A rosy blush can make a huge difference to how you feel. Often times, women choose to wear makeup to avoid looking washed out. If that is your glitch, then skip all the rest (except sunscreen, please, please use sunscreen or moisturizer) and apply blush to your cheek bones. Find this area but sucking in your cheeks like a fish and apply on/just above the line that appears.
4. Crest Whitestrips - Now, I've confused you. Just hear me out. When we put on makeup, it makes our teeth appear whiter and our skin darker. So, if you want to skip the makeup part, jump to the teeth. Whiter teeth will make your skin look luminous. It might even fool you into believing you have makeup on.
5. You're beautiful with or without makeup. BELIEVE THIS. The reason you get hit on when you have makeup on isn't because you have makeup on, it is because you feel GOOD with your makeup on. Others can feel confidence like heat from a fireplace. Once you've soaked that in recognize this truth: we see distorted views of ourselves. By this I mean, we literally don't know what we look like. We don't see ourselves in the same clear way others see us. That means, your best friends aren't lying when they say you look smokin' hot without your 10 pounds of makeup, YOU ACTUALLY DO. So, stop letting the Victoria's Secret models set the standard for beauty and start setting it yourself.