With curly hair, people are always asking me "Do you ever straighten your hair?" -- While I used to be embarrassed of my curly hair, I now am loving everything about it.
And, one of the best things about curly hair is that I CAN wear it straight OR curly. But, is it really possible to straighten curly hair in the summer with all the humidity? With a few key products and tools, your curly hair can easily be straight this summer.
What products you'll need:
-A straightening gel - I rely on the Benniefactor B Smooth Straightening Gel as this product is lightweight and makes straightening so much easier.
-Argan oil - This is an absolute must for eliminating frizz created by the blow dry. I've been using the Redken All Soft Argan 6 Oil which helps keep my curly strands straight throughout the day.
-A shine spray - Straightening curly hair can sometimes make your hair look dried out, so utilizing a shine spray as the last styling step is essential to revitalizing your hair's natural glow. I love the Rusk Designer Collection Thermal Shine Spray.
-A strong hold hair spray - Maintaining straighten hair throughout the day isn't always easy but I find that my hair stays straighter when I use a really strong hair hold hair spray. I suggest the It's a 10 Miracle Superhold Finishing Hair Spray plus Keratin for almost all my hair looks!
What to do:
1. Use an argan oil on damp hair from the root to the bottom of each strand
2. Add a pea sized drop of straightening gel to your hair by working it through sections of your hair
3. Separate your hair into four sections, two in the front and two in the back using a hair clip
4. Work from the top of the hair to the bottom of the hair with high heat and straighten each section. Once one section is dry, move on the next. (Your hair SHOULD look very voluminous and somewhat frizzy)
5. Using a ceramic straightener, take small sections of your hair to tone down the volume and frizz
6. Spray your hair with Rusk's shine spray
7. Finish the look with your favorite strong hold hair spray!
Here are my final looks after utilizing the above process for straightening curly hair in the summer. And while some strands will naturally curl up, this straightened hair will last at least several hours!
How do you straighten your hair in the summer?
For the love of (curly) hair,